Tuesday 30 July 2013

Better than the Beatles.

Every day I sing out loud to Beatles' songs while doing my daily
exercise. A few days ago, I came across a hugely offensive song,
and along with it, came to the sad realisation that my heroes
could buy into the patriarchal bullshit as easily as anyone else
(although fortunately John Lennon redeemed himself by
growing up:  he later said it was his least favourite Beatles song,
and the one he most regretted writing).

It's got a great beat, and a great tune, and what else - oh yes,
it totally glorifies an abusive relationship. I mean, seriously.
In real life, if anyone says these words to you, you  need
to make sure they're thrown in jail, or at least referred to
a psychiatrist, and if not that, then just get the hell away
from them, as far as you can go. And take the kids and pets with you.

Run For Your Life - by the Beatles
(click above to listen)

Verse 1:
Well I'd rather see you dead, little girl
Than to be with another man
You better keep your head, little girl
Or I won't know where I am

Chorus:
You better run for your life if you can, little girl
Hide your head in the sand little girl
Catch you with another man
That's the end'a little girl

Verse 2:
Well you know that I'm a wicked guy
And I was born with a jealous mind
And I can't spend my whole life
Trying just to make you toe the line
(Chorus ..)

Verse 3:
Let this be a sermon
I mean everything I've said
Baby, I'm determined
And I'd rather see you dead
(Chorus ..)

Naturally, I couldn't sing these horrendous lyrics, so I decided
to make some of my own. Changing the genders around was
no good, because that just sends it from misogyny to misandry.
But I finally put together a version I liked, inspired by
the ringleader of the infamous Delhi rape case, who was
a juvenile (17 years old) when he committed his crimes, and
so has to be judged under juvenile law, in spite of all the public
outrage, and his own family asking for him to be hanged.

They're not the world's best lyrics, but I think they're a slight
improvement on Run For Your Life. They can be sung cheerfully
by anyone, regardless of one's views on capital punishment. Here they are:

Stay in Jail - by me 

Verse 1:
Well, they’d rather see you dead, little boy
Than to see you out on bail
You better just stay put, little boy,
You’ll be safer in that jail.

Chorus:
You better stay in jail if you can, little boy,
Hide your head in the sand little boy
Catch you on the streets again
That’s the end’a, little boy.

Verse 2:
Everyone knows you’re a wicked boy
And you’ve got such a twisted mind
The country’s got better things to do
Than to make sure you toe the line
(Chorus..)

Let this be a warning,
You might wish you’d been hanged instead
The whole nation’s determined
And they’d rather see you dead.
(Chorus..)

I shall be testing it out in about half an hour when I go for
my walk. Feel free to sing along, wherever you are.

2 comments:

Barb Schanel said...

I don't think I've ever heard that one. What album is it from? I love what you did with it!

Without Shadow said...

No idea which album, Barb, but I put a link to the song on youtube if you want (click on the song title).